Sewn by your's truly :)
The tunic top is New Look 6344 view A and the skirt is from New Look 6353. Not only is this the first two piece outfit I have sewn for myself, but is the first time I have made a top that required the easing of sleeves!
I've decided that I just love New Look patterns. The fit is usually perfect for me and requires little, if no, alterations and perfect ease. These patterns are never on sale (but they are always priced at $3.99 at Joann's), and sometimes don't have the most recent trends, but they seem to be tried and true for me.
Pattern: New Look 6344, view A.
Fabric: Three yards of white shirting from Joann's, $7.99/yd minus 40% due to a coupon ($14.38).
Alterations: The only change I made was to use the serger's three-thread overlock to finish the edges prior to construction. I followed the sewing direction to the "t" - this was my first top 'ya know :)
Cost: The fabric was purchased at Joann's; the interfacing was from the stash; the thread was from the stash; I purchased the pattern at Joann's for $3.99. Total = $18.37.
Impressions: I really like the top. It was pretty easy to make, the directions were clear, and the fabric was easy to use. The collar band and sleeves gave me a bit of heartache, but nothing I was not expecting because it was my attempt at sewing a top. The sleeves ended up with a couple of small puckers in the shoulder seam, but nothing so dramatic and horrible that I would rip it out and re-sew. It seems to me that easing/sewing sleeves is a technique that is only perfected with practice.
I considered adding some embroidery detail around the neck area and at the cuffs of the bell sleeves but decided against it during the first try on. The seam where the collar/neck portion meets the front of the body falls right on the bust line. I did not think that would be very attractive. I would definitely make another one. In fact, I think I have some linen fabric in the stash that would be perfect!
Size used from pattern back: 16
Pattern: New Look 6353, view A.
Fabric: Two yards of poly/rayon blend from Joann's, purchased during a sale on clearance fabric at $1.60/yd ($3.20).
Alterations: A couple:
1. I did not use twill tape in the waist band. The fabric has virtually no stretch so I did not think it was necessary.
2. I also did not use interfacing on the waist band. The fabric has a bit of weight to it, and again I did not think it was necessary.
3. I used the serger's three-thread overlock to finish the edges prior to construction.
4. I altered the zipper installation. I learned a new technique in Sandra Betzina's "Power Sewing" - essentially you use a zipper that is at least 2" longer than what is required, and put this extra (and the zipper top) at the top. This allows for no toggling around the zipper top during sewing. Before attaching the waist band, the zipper top is moved down, and the extra is cut off the top. After the waistband is attached (you get as close as you can to the zipper teeth while sewing), the zipper goes all the way to the top of the skirt eliminating the need for a hook and eye. Take a look:
I lovelovelove this zipper installation!! You even use scotch tape instead of pins - So cool and so easy!
Cost: The fabric was purchased at Joann's; the thread was from the stash; I purchased the pattern at Joann's for $3.99 and the zipper from Zipperstop for $0.55. Total = $7.74.
Impressions: The skirt was a breeze. I'm just about a skirt expert. The fit is really nice and would definitely make another one.
Sized used from pattern back: 18
So a complete, work appropriate outfit for $26.11, not bad at all!
Well, now my dressform is naked again. Next up is a duro-style dress from New Look. This will be my first sewing experience with slinky and slippery fabric. I have received some pointers from my mom, as well as some sewing discussion boards, but would love to have some personal feedback from others sewers out there :)