I'm so excited that I finished my duro dress!!
Pattern: New Look 6615, View E
Fabric: The main fabric required three yards and was on the clearance rack at Joann's for $4/yd, with an additional 60% off. The one and a half yards of the contrasting trim fabric was also purchased at Joann's for $6.99/yd. Both fabrics are in what I consider the "slinky" family.
Alterations: I ended up not putting in a side zipper. I basted the side seams and tried it on to determine if I really needed one to aid in putting the dress on. I didn't need it, so I didn't put it in.
The facings for the contrasting collar, waistband and arm bands required stitching "in the ditch". Since I have yet to practice this technique on non-slippery fabric, I decided to use steam-a-seam fusible webbing. It did the trick.
The collar on the neck went just a little too deep for my tastes - and I did not discover the problem until after it was all sewn/steam-a-seam'd in. So, I whip stitched the v neck opening closed for about an inch from the bottom. I am happy with the result, and you can't even tell that I had to do it. When I make the dress again, I will take keep this alteration in mind.
Cost: Main fabric - $4.80. Contrasting fabric - $10.49. Thread, two spools at $1.59 each - $3.18. New Look Pattern - $3.99. Both the interfacing and the steam-a-seam came from the stash. Total - $22.46!
Impressions: This dress offered me a new challege - sewing with slinky / slippery fabric. I definitely feel more comfortable using these kinds of fabrics now... it just takes a lot of pinning for me. But the results are worth it.
I purchased more fabric over the weekend for an additional duro dress - I think it will be perfect for my company's holiday party in December. With everything else on my plate, we'll see if I'm able to get it completed in time.
Oh, and let's not forget the model shot!!