Another dress is done!
Pattern: New Look 6349, View A - Long sleeve with flounces.
Fabric: Five yards of "quilting" cotton fabric, $2.99/yard and I used a 50% off coupon.
Alterations: A couple alterations, but all simple ones -
Instead of the standard hems called for on the flounces and the bottom I used the serger for rolled hems. What can I say - I like the look of rolled hems :)
I top-stitched the ties. This was not called for in the pattern, but I think it adds a bit more crispness and stability to the ties.
I altered the seam allowances on the back and on the sides since I took a leap and constructed a smaller size than I probably would normally. The ease in what I would consider "my size" was a bit excessive in my opinion. So, I used a 3/8" seam for back seam and 1/2" seams for sides and the fit is great!
I was having a problem with the front facings getting all wonky while walking and wearing. Out came the Steam-a-Seam! I fused the facings edges to the front pieces and that took care of that!
Cost: Main fabric - $7.48. Interfacing (2 yds @ $0.99/yd) - $1.98. New Look Pattern - $3.99. Both the thread and the steam-a-seam came from the stash. Total - $13.45!
Impressions: I really like this wrap dress, it comfortable and has easy care. BUT - I do think the accessories make or break the outfit. Without them the dress seems a bit too much "Little House on the Prairie" for me. It could also be the fabric choice - maybe a non-cotton fabric with a lighter weight would give this dress a completely different look. The most daunting task of the project was the cutting... the pattern pieces were soooo long. Other than that, the pattern directions were clear and the dress came together easily.
Strike a pose!