I had some fun over the weekend with the new machine, and finished up the embroidered wool jacket!
Close up of embroidery designs:
Pattern: New Look 6516, View C
Fabric: Three and a half yards of wool felt fabric, $8.99/yard and I used a 50% off coupon. Lining is a cotton fabric, two and three-quarters yards at $1.99/yard.
Alterations: The major alteration was applying the embroidery design instead of using purchased trim. I also used lining fabric as the facing instead of the wool felt fabric. For typical San Diego weather, having the facing in wool might have been just a bit too warm. I decided against putting the hook/eye closure in as well... but may change my mind later.
Cost: Main fabric - $15.74. Lining fabric - $5.47. Interfacing from the stash. New Look Pattern - $3.99. Embroidery thread - $2.99 (originally $4.99 but I used a coupon). Tear-away stabilizer - $2.99 x 2 = $5.98. The thread used in the construction came from the stash. Total - $34.17!
Impressions: Love it! The construction of this jacket was easy and pretty straight forward. I had some issues with attaching the lining fabric to the sleeve cuffs, and needed to refer to a couple sewing books to "get it." I love the embroidery detail... it just took longer to do than sewing the entire garment... but it was worth it!
When I make this jacket again (I see some brocade in my future), I will take one alteration at the back-shoulder seam into consideration. The jacket is just a bit too baggy in this area for my tastes. Not even noticeable unless I point it out. However, I was not willing to take the chance in making the alteration on this jacket due to the embroidery layout already being complete.
BTW, I'm holding off on the model shot because I'm working on a skirt that will go perfectly with the jacket... a new outfit for the fall/winter wardrobe!