While in TN over Thanksgiving, my mom and I went to a fabulous fabric store - Textile Fabrics. Talk about fabric heaven! Many many wonderful fabrics... including top end designer apparel fabrics that are impossible to find in San Diego.
It was a bit over-whelming being amongst such wonderful textile fibers, that I walked away with just a cut of vintage-style holiday fabric by Moda:
This is probably the most I have ever spent per yard on fabric... a whopping $14.99 per yard! Anyway, I thought it would be perfect for an apron (remember this pattern from March?) and matching tablecloth. My mom thought it would be perfect for an apron as well, and purchased yardage for me to make one for her. So yes, that's two holiday aprons and one tablecloth.
Well, the pattern calls for a 54" square tablecloth. What I neglected to remember is that the printed pattern for the tablecloth needs to traverse all four sides. Well, the Moda fabric only traverses two sides - oops.
I looked through some of the patterns I have in the stash and found a couple other apron patterns. I was not happy with the top portion of any of these patterns... I really like the top of the Indygo Junction one. So, with a little imagination and some pattern tracing paper, I decided to redraft the bottom portion of the IJ pattern to take advantage of the print on the Moda fabric.
Of course, before cutting* my very expensive fabric*, I thought it might be a good idea to do a test apron first, in some scrap fabric :)
And while I was in the whole "testing" mood, I gave some of the decorative stitches on the fancy-schmancy machine a whirl:
And close ups of the fancy decorative stitches:
I'm very happy with the results of the re-draft. I will probably make more use of the serger on the "real" aprons because as a general rule I just *love* rolled hems :)