I have really got the springtime bug! I picked a few lengths of cotton fabric at Joann's a couple weeks ago to make sundresses. After working on this one here and there, it is finally done! If only the weather was reflective of spring, we had to take the pictures indoors because it was just too cold for me outside:
Pattern: The dress is from New Look #6866. The obi-style belt is taken from the September 2006 issue of Threads Magazine. The headband is from Sew News, March 2007, a pattern by Heather Bailey (she has an alternative pattern for free here).
Fabric: Three yards of tropical print cotton shirting ($4.99/yd); One and a half yards of golden yellow cotton fabric ($1.79/yd).
Alterations: I did not make any alterations to the dress or the headband. I made the belt more narrow than indicated, and also cut the bias strip continuously in one piece. This was a big time saver. I also top-stitched the edges of the belt to give it a more finished look.
Cost: Dress fabric - $14.97. Belt/band fabric - $2.69. Fusible knit interfacing - $2.98. The thread and dress pattern came from the stash. Total - $20.64.
Impressions: When I finished sewing the dress and gave it a try-on, I was a bit disappointed in the fit around the waist and hips. The bust fit great, but the style of dress created a more boxy fit around the waist and hips. It made me look like a balloon.
Instead of going back and making the necessary changes to be happy, I decided that it might be really cute to just add a belt and handband in a matching color.
After a trip to Rosie's and Joann's, I found the golden yellow cotton that matched perfectly. In a matter of a few hours I had the matching accessories.
I couldn't be happier with the finished outfit! It turned out really cute, and the belt and headband just give it that vintage-yet-modern look that seems to be in at the moment.
I have fabric for an additional dress in this pattern. Next time around though I am going to make the alteration in the waist and hips, as well as change the neckline from crew to v. That should be a fun, yet pretty simple, challenge.