I have just been a dress-making fool over here!
I picked up this Burda pattern a couple months back and just loved the dress:
After picking up a bunch of cotton fabrics at Joann's, I figured it was time that I give the Burda pattern a try.
Pattern: The dress from Burda 7969.
Fabric: I purchased what was left on the bolt, almost five yards ($4.89/yd) because I was not sure how much I would need for the dress. It is a cotton blend, dark navy and white print. I used about three and half yards for the dress leaving almost two yards left over.... I think I will be making a little drawstring bag and maybe a headband to match!
Alterations: The pattern calls for bias binding around the neck and sleeve edges. I considered using a contract fabric, but ultimately used the main fabric to cut the bias strips.
I had to take in the sides seams about three-quarters of an inch. It was not necessary for the overall fit, but definitely needed due to the opening under that arm. There was quite a bra-show going on that was not needed! And, since I'm a bit on the shorter side, I had to bring up the hem by almost two-and-a-half inches.
Cost: Dress Fabric - $17.11. The thread came from the stash, and I did not keep record of the cost of the pattern. Total - $17.11.
Impressions: From what I've read on other blogs and forums, Burda patterns have a reputation of being difficult to follow. This was not the case with this pattern. The directions were pretty straight forward, and the overall construction was pretty simple.
And, I must repeat, I love this dress! A very easy-breezy-spring-and-summer anytime dress. I would not wear this particular one to work due to the lightweight cotton material, but I could definitely pull the design off with a heavier cotton fabric. I think I need to do some stash diving to see if I have some... in fact I think that I may have some Amy Butler that is calling my name :)