I finished the Hot Patterns Cha-Cha-Cha dress!
Pattern: Hot Patterns / Butterick / McCall's HP103, No Sweat Easy Sew Cha-Cha-Cha Dresses. This is the scoop-neck, long sleeved version.
Fabric: Three and 3/8th yards of silky print from Joann's.
Alterations: In order to make this dress more work appropriate, I applied the neck binding on the seam allowances for the neck instead of trimming it down. This made the scoop higher up, exactly what I was going for.
On the sleeve and hem flounces I opted for a serged rolled hem instead of a turned and stitched hem. I think this added a bit of whimsy to these edges. I also had to trim about 5" off the ends of the sleeves because they were too long (good thing I let them hang a bit!).
Cost: The fabric was on sale for $4.99 a yard, $16.84. The pattern was $11.95. The thread and bias tape were in the stash. Total - $28.79.
Impressions: Originally I was feeling "just okay" about this dress, until I sewed on the hem and sleeve flounces. Now I love it! I am not sure how long this style of dress will be in-style, so I have not decided if I will make another one or not. If I do, I will bring the split-seam on the bodice up about an inch as I have to wear a cami under this dress. I do want to try the halter version of this dress (there are some beautiful ones out there), but have not decided if the tie around the waist bit would look right on my body-type (and, not to mention, it would be perfect for our upcoming Vegas trip).
As far as the directions in the pattern - they are fantastic! I have another HP pattern for a dress, and just reading through the directions gave me a headache. It so seriously scared me that I never attempted to make the dress. Thanks to the collaboration between HP and McCall's, this No Sweat pattern was a breeze to read and understand. I think any advanced beginner could sew this dress easily. I am even considering adding a couple more to my stash.
And, of course, what's a cute dress without a matching handbag!
This little drawstring bag is perfect for carrying just the essentials for an evening out on the town. I followed a tutorial by happythings and whipped up this little number in about an hour.
One special detail I added...
I used a decorative stitch pattern for the bottom seam - it turned out so cute!