She went into the wash for some fraying action
I think with a few more washings the detail will be more pronounced.
And the model shot:
Pattern: Amy Butler's Barcelona Skirts, the layered skirt version.
Fabric: 2-1/4 yards of cotton batik purchased from Rosie's Calico Cupboard.
Alterations: None really. Thinking that there might be some fitting alterations that would be necessary, I made the lining first. There were no sizing issues for me at all! The only other change I made was to edge finish (3TO on the serger) on some edges that the pattern does not indicate.
Cost: The fabric was $7.25/yard. I've had the muslin (for the lining) in the stash for ages. The pattern was $12.00. The thread came from the stash. Total - $28.31. A little high for a skirt, but since I'm taking into account the entire cost of the pattern now, all other Barcelona skirts (because there will be more) will be fabric cost alone!!
Impressions: LOVE. IT. The style is perfect for me, the fit is dead on, and it is work appropriate. I think I just might have a "tried and true" pattern on my hands! The lining is a great touch, and since it calls for muslin, it makes the skirt extremely comfortable and breathable - very important during the summer months.
I found this pattern to be super easy. The direction and illustrations are very detailed and clear. If you know how to put in an invisible zipper, you can
sew so make this skirt... so I definitely rate it at the intermediate beginner level.
I have the creative juices going about the other styles of the skirt. I have some Amy Butler Charm fabrics in the stash.... and I think it might be really cute to make the A-line/apron overlay version. Use the Charm for the skirt, and get two different solid matching cottons (one for the inside and one for the outside) for the apron overlay, and maybe use a beautiful wide ribbon for the waist ties and contrast on the edges. It would be totally reversible. Or maybe I'll just make another layered one - it was so fun and had such instant gratification!