I think that sometimes it's a good idea to make a muslin of a garment if the style is something that I am unsure of. I'm certainly glad I did this with the most recent sewing adventure - Simplicity 3788. Even though the resulting top is pretty cute, and a completely wearable muslin, it will not work for what I originally had plan for it. This step saved me from cutting the garment fabric and being disappointed in the end. But - I do have a new top to show for my efforts!
Pattern: Simplicity 3788, View A with added ties.
Fabric: 1-1/2 yards of left over fabric from this dress.
Alterations: I cut the back ties from View D and applied them at the marked waistline. I also made self-fabric bias tape for the armhole edges and neck/back lines instead of purchasing a packaged one.
Cost: The fabric was $4.89/yard. The pattern was $0.99, and the thread came from the stash. Total - $8.33.
Impressions: I think this top is perfect for the summer months, especially on the weekend when out-and-about. I think the added tie prevented the top from looking too boxy and unflattering. I wore it on Saturday during the local quilter's shop run and received a few compliments on it. It's just too bad that the style is not what I am looking for in the next outfit I am planning.
I'm not sure if I will make another one or not. It would probably be really cute if lengthened to a dress as well. But again, only as weekend wear, I could not get away with this style at work. And, not to mention, I'm not really a fan of making bias tape (although it would probably be easier if I had a stash of these). But now that I think about it, I think I would make another one, but with purchased bias tape instead :)
ETA - I forgot to mention that this pattern has almost 9" of ease. For me, that's huge! After measuring the pattern pieces, I ended up cutting the pattern two sizes smaller than what I normally would.