So, the blocking didn't work as well as I had hoped. I flipped through some references and decided to crochet a ribbing around the sleeve cuffs and the hem:
Yarn: Rowan All Seasons Cotton in Military and Jersey. 14 skeins of the MC, 2 of the CC.
Needles: Addi Turbos Circs US7s.
Alterations: I added a crochet ribbing to the hem and sleeve cuffs to make them a tad bit longer, a preference of DH's. I added 1" to the sleeves and 1.75" to the bottom hem. This took an additional full skein of All Seasons Cotton.
Impressions: The intarsia was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. I love the cut and look on DH. He really likes it too! He definitely thinks he will get more wear out of this sweater than the other one I made him - simply because it's a cotton blend versus a wool blend, and cotton is more appropriate for San Diego weather than wool is... especially for a man.