Sorry for the unexpected blog break. We did a bit of traveling to TN to visit my family in November. Jake and I were there for almost three weeks.
Anyway, I have a ton to share! I've been a very busy-crafty-bee over here. So, first up...
After being inspired by an appliqued cardigan I saw in a Hanna Andersson catalog, I just needed to make a version for Jake.
I searched around a bit, and decided on Kwik Sew 3150. I also decided to make the cardigan more "lil boy" like by using contrasting fabrics on the arms, and choosing a different applique.
Here is what the original from Hanna Andersson looks like.
And here is my version. I used the left over fleece from Jake's Halloween costume.
I purchased the applique design from Urban Threads, and made just a couple of changes in my embroidery software. Here are a couple of close-ups.
I made a couple of changes to the Kwik Sew pattern in order to get more of the look of the HA one. I inserted the zipper differently and applied fleece binding to the edges. All in all, I'm pretty proud of this one, and it was a simple pattern to put together.
And, we have to see the cardigan in action! Here Jake is, sporting his fleece cardigan while helping pick out a Christmas tree last weekend.
After looking at this year's Halloween pictures, the decision was made that Jake really needed a haircut. The poor baby was titling his head up in nearly ever picture so he could see from underneath his hair! And he needed a real haircut, not a mommy-cutting-the-bangs look.
So we made a trip to Kids Kuts this week.
He was quite the trooper, and only complained a couple of times. Kids Kuts was great - they had a car-chair and small toys that we could distract Jake with during the cutting. And the hairdresser was great - she easily maneuvered around Jake's squirming with ease. We will definitely be going back.
After receiving a hand-sewn romper from Cora recently, I decided that I just had to make one out of flannel in order to beef-up Jake's fall and winter wardrobe.
This is an OOP New Look romper pattern. I added a few inches to the length to get a longer pant look. The monkey flannel print came from a recent Joann's purchase.
I finished off the facings by stitching the interfacing to the facing pieces prior to fusing. All the inside seams are serged. My hope is that it will survive toddler-wear-and-tear and multiple washing for quite awhile.
I did attempt some modeling shots, although they are not the best. Capturing a toddler on the run has been challenging. I do have to say he's the cutest monkey ever!
I guess I added too much length because we have to roll the bottoms about an inch. But, maybe he'll get taller over the next couple of months and it won't be a problem for too long.
For Halloween this year Jake was a turtle. Just the cutest turtle ever!
Using Simplicity 2527 I sewed up only the shell portions, figuring that making the fleece jumper would be risky since we never really know what the weather is going to be like on Halloween in San Diego. I'm glad I didn't make it, because it was a bit on the warm side. Instead he's in a store bought onesie and pants.
There was quite a bit of baby-wrangling going on, though, because you know, go figure that Jake didn't want it on or want to keep it on.
A big thanks to Kris (who stopped by to spend the night during her crazy work trip) for snapping off the photos as quick as she could!
Yes, although Jake took his first steps about two months ago, that was the only action we saw in regards to "walking on his own". One step here, two steps there. About four weeks ago he started holding our hand to walk - which was more than adorable.
But three days ago it happened! He started walking on his own, just like that. DH put together a really cute video, be sure to turn on the volume :)